When you’re preparing your house for sale, remember the importance of first impressions. There’s an old saw in any business that says “you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression”, and in real estate it’s an absolute given. Buyers can be turned-on and turned-off by the strangest things … more than half the houses I’ve sold are sold when the buyers get out of their cars. So stand across the street from your house and imagine yourself pulling-up and seeing the house for the very first time. What do you see?
Here are some easy things you can do to ramp-up your curb appeal.
* Sweep front walkway
* Remove newspapers, bikes and toys
* Park extra cars away from the property
* Trim back the shrubs
* Apply fresh, clean paint throughout
* Clean windows and window coverings throughout
* Keep pet areas clean
* Keep plumbing and all appliances in working order
* Maintain all sealant (window, tub, shower, sink, etc.) in good condition
* Make sure roof and gutters are in good condition
* Mow the lawn more frequently and plant flowers
* Clean until the Kitchen and bathrooms shine
* GIve a quick once-over with the vacuum, carpets look cleaner
* Place fresh flowers in the main room
* Put everyday dishes away and set a formal dining room display for decoration
* Make beds and put all clothes away
* Enhance the spaciousness of each room
* Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel
* Straighten closets
* Minimize live house plants … keep only the most beautiful/favorites
* Put away all silk flowers and fake plants
* Put toys away
* Turn off television
* Play soft music on the radio/stereo
* Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odor-free – place cat litter boxes in out-of-the-way places and refresh the litter often
* Secure jewelry, cash, prescription medication and other valuables
1. Potential buyers always feel more comfortable if the owners are not present.
2. If people knock on your door to see your property, refer them to your real estate professional for an appointment. Never let them in.
3. Leave a number where you can be reached with your agent if you are leaving town, even for a weekend. Keep your cell phone on and forward your house phone to it.
In closing, The Appearance of Overall Excellent Condition = Buyer Offers